Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It´s in the Drums!!!!


According to www.atu2blog.com, Barely Larrry, the drummer for Zoo Station,in addition to being the Hit Man for San Francisco’s resident U2 tribute band, he works at a radio station in The City. and he was invited into a meeting with Universal today, who premiered the new U2 song for the station. S. This is what he had to say about it:

"God bless ‘em, it opens with a drum fill, not unlike “Young Folks” by Peter, Bjorn & John, and then we’re on our way. The signature riff is muscular and catchy in the “Vertigo” vein, with a rapid fire vocal pattern. I read Alan Cross’s blog this morning and he compared the verses to “Pump It Up” by Elvis Costello. I can’t say I disagree with that. It’s evocative, but I wouldn’t call it a rip-off. The chorus takes a trip through the Middle East with Bono singing, “You don’t know how beautiful you are.” There’s a half-tempo breakdown/bridge with a processed drum loop that I cannot wait to hear in a stadium. It’s like John Bonham playing on a Massive Attack song before the song lurches back into the main riff for another verse and chorus. And then before you know it, it’s all over. It feels like a seven minute epic crammed into about three minutes, although I didn’t check my watch for the time.

The single most striking thing about this song for me are the drums. Or at least I think they’re drums. I’ve never heard so many layers of rhythm on a U2 song. There are a lot of very processed drums (I thought of Kasabian at one point and N*E*R*D* at another) and loops going on, coming in and out of the mix and then at points it goes back to traditional sounding drums for emphasis. It’s extremely tasteful, but complex enough to make my head spin. And I have no idea how I’m gonna manage to pull it off when my band learns it, so stay tuned for some comedy while I work that business out.

Anyway, this is NOT U2 by the numbers. This is not a “return to form” or “back to basics.” This is, what the kids like to call, some OTHER s**t. And I loved it. I think you will too. And I can’t wait to hear it again."


OMG!!! With all the pieces of news we are gathering waitng for 19th is becoming an ardous journey!!!



source:www.atu2blog.com

No comments: