Friday, January 23, 2009

Conversation with U2's Producer Daniel Lanois/Part 3


Alan Cross has posted the third part of his convesation with U2 producer.

"This time Daniel talks about other tracks on the album.

Daniel Lanois: Well there is a few other titles, that have kind of exotic beginnings. There's one called “At the Moment of Surrender,” which is one of my personal favorites.

It's pretty much a collaborated piece. Myself and Eno are included as song writers on that one. It’s a very exotic and fantastic foundation.

Alan Cross: Is that the 7 Min song?

DL: Yes. It’s beautiful, it’s passionate, and full of soul. I’m very proud of it.

And it’s one of the first things we have created together. There were a few more like that, that came out of the early session. It was pretty much a creative and writing environment, and we have always done well that way.

Because a big part off U2 is its capacity to improvise --- and Eno and I also love to do that --- we could come up with several new tracks. So the beginning of that album had that freedom where people were allowed to bring whatever they wanted to the table.

AC: “Get on your Boots” is track 6 on the record, which was oddly deep for a first single. And it has me wondering: what happens through the first 5 songs of the CD?

DL: The first few songs on the CD are pretty magical. In fact, “No line on the Horizon,” the title song, is a fantastic mixture of hand played instruments; everybody really going for it. It’s kind of like science fiction rock and roll.

It’s definitely an incredible piece, and I can’t wait for you to hear it.

There is another one called “Being Born,” which again has that kind of band vitality. It's one of my favorite pieces on the new record for sure.

AC: I can’t wait to hear it! I’ve been told but I'll just ask you: Is it more “Achtung Baby” then “Atomic Bomb?” Or is it more "Pop" then “Atomic Aomb?"

DL: I believe this new record scores very high with its innovation. I suppose we can draw some comparisons to “Achtung Baby” that way because it was also an innovated time when we were determined to break some kind of ground sonically. And I think the same thing has happened here.

I wouldn’t make a direct comparison because all the ideas and the sounds are brand new. But I suppose it's similar in the sense that the band had the appetite to do something wildly new and interesting. So it’s less of a band huddle, and more of an exotic, innovated, huddle."



source:www.exploremusic.com/home/TheMusicGeekBlog/

No comments: