Monday, September 5, 2011

Gavin Friday: the concert of a lifetime

Gavin Friday, Electric Picnic, Ireland - September 2, 2011
Photo copyright © Caroline van Oosten de Boer


Gavin Friday gave the concert of his life at the Electric Picnic on Friday night. But don't take my word for it. Take The Edge's. "I haven't seen Gavin perform in many years," he told me after the show. "Then, suddenly, I realised there is no one else who can perform quite like him. There is only one Gavin Friday and I think Bono might need to take some lessons," the enigmatic U2 guitarist added with a smile.
Helena Christensen was equally full of praise for Mr Friday, who blew 15,000 fans away with a rousing and innovative stormer of a show -- his first "official gig of my music in over 15 years", he told me himself. (He is playing the Olympia Theatre, Dublin, in November).
The Danish supermodel told me backstage after the show that Gavin's performance "brought her from Heaven to Hell and back again". Well, his brilliant new album is called Catholic.

Gavin Friday - Electric Picnic

The boys in the band:
Herbie Macken, Gavin Friday, Dik Evans (Edge´s brother, who plays guitar in the band), Jolyon Vaughan Thomas ,David Mooney, Andre Antunes.

 Barry Egan
Originally published in 



No comments: