Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Adam Clayton gets down as Idris Elba hits the decks in Dublin

Adam Clayton and Idris Elba pictured Buck's Townhouse. International Super Star Idris Elba returned for his third DJ set at Dublin's Number 1 VIP venue. Pic Patrick O'Leary NO REPRO FEE for one use only
Adam Clayton and Idris Elba pictured Buck's Townhouse. International Super Star Idris Elba returned for his third DJ set at Dublin's Number 1 VIP venue. Photo: Patrick O'Leary



ICE-cool actor Idris Elba (41) joined Adam Clayton (54) for a surprise collaboration in Dublin over the weekend -- and to hit the town with a vengeance. The Herald can reveal how The Wire actor and U2's tee-total bassist met up in celebrity haunt Bucks Townhouse for an impromptu night out. British star Idris, who stars in BBC detective show Luther, came over to Ireland to guest DJ in the Leeson Street club. Under his moniker of DJ Big Driis, he got the revellers in a right spin as he belted out the hits for the Bank Holiday party crew. And they were even more delighted when the actor was joined on a rare night out by his good pal Adam, along with his stunning wife Mariana Teixeira de Carvalho. An onlooker said: "Idris got a brilliant reception from clubgoers -- they were all high-fiving him and looking to get their picture taken with him. No one could believe it when Adam just strolled into the club with his wife". The pair first met last year at the premiere of the Nelson Mandela movie, which saw Idris playing the part of the legendary leader.

Adam 7_2.jpg





It was a busy weekend for both stars, with Idris appearing on the Saturday Night Show ahead of his DJ stint while the U2 star was on the Late Late Show on Friday night.

He opened up to Ryan Tubridy about his lengthy battle with depression -- and credits Eric Clapton with helping him deal with his issues.

"From a teenager onwards I always had a low level depression and I found that music relieved that and I think that's why I went into music," he said.

When he was working with the band, he was able to put it to the back of his mind but he also began to drink heavily.

"My drinking increased and increased and because I kept being successful it was covered up and taken care of and I'm in a band with three great guys who put up with me."

His fellow bandmates eventually sat him down and told him to get his act together.

"I was lucky enough to take the hint," he added. Someone put him in touch with Eric Clapton, who said he had to go to rehab.

"He told me a place to go that he recommended was a good place and I said, 'well if he's telling me to go do that, that's what I'm gonna do' and that was when I started listening to what other people said to me instead of doing the exact opposite," he said.

http://www.independent.ie/

No comments: