Monday, July 8, 2013

Glastonbury 2011: when Bono put me in the frame

What happened when the U2 singer borrowed the Guardian photographer's camera?

by David Levene for The Guardian



Bono reaches for David Levene's camera
The photographers in the pit had to leave to allow others to take their place but I’d arranged to stay. I think that’s why Bono noticed me. Photograph: David Levene for the Guardian

At the end of U2's third song, Bono knelt down in front of me and stretched his hand towards the camera. At first, I thought he was just doing a rocker pose. But then he got closer and closer, and I thought: He wants my camera. So I just gave it to him.





Bono with David Levene's camera
I didn’t think he’d actually taken any photos. This was taken by a friend who was in the pit at the same time. Photograph: Pete Mariner




I was initially worried he wasn't going to be able to use it. You can't generally take a photo with the camera unless the auto-focus is engaged – and that's quite a faff to figure out. So it was only when I had a look later that I saw he'd fired off four or five frames.


Bono's picture of Guardian photographer David Levene
I was taking pictures of him with another camera as he was taking pictures of me. One of them might have to go up on my wall at home. Photograph: Bono/U2


They were a bit underexposed, but I was just very impressed he'd managed to take any photos at all.


Guardian photographer David Levine was  awarded first prize in the 'arts' category for his photography of Bono on the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury.

Designed for press photographers, The Press Photographer's Awards remains the only competition that showcases the outstanding press photography taken for, and used by the UK media, and now celebrates its seventh year.


http://www.theppy.com/http://www.guardian.co.uk

No comments: