Thursday, March 14, 2013

ADAM CLAYTON ON "THE DEVIL INSIDE"




Taking on an ambassadorial role with the 'Walk In My Shoes' campaign in support of St Patrick's University Hospital, Adam Clayton has joined forces with the Dublin initiative to raise funds and awareness for the mental issues that young Irish people face today.


Talking to Stuart Clark about his own struggle with drugs, alcohol and "the devil inside", Clayton admits:

"That dark side was related to my inability to psychologically reason with myself.  I've worked hard at acquiring the tools to overcome my insecurities and low self-esteem.  Unlike 20-years ago, I go to bed now looking forward to the next day.  My hope is that 'Walk In my Shoes' will break any remaining taboo surrounding mental health issues.  If people feel they need help, they shouldn't be ashamed to ask for it."

Clayton explains how and why he got involved with the initiative and speaks about his own downward spiral and battling his own demons:

"I liked the idea of in some small way carrying on my mother's work with St. Patrick's and, then of course, I have my own history with drugs and alcohol. I was in a successful band with great people whose lives were functional.  They were in long-term relationships and raising families.  I'd look at them and me and go, 'what's the difference here; what's wrong with this picture?' I hated not feeling good enough."

In this intimate, revealing interview, Clayton voices his concerns over cyber-bullying, his tough transition from Kenya to Howth at the age of five, dealing with life in the public eye, the importance of understanding addiction and its pressing need for public awareness.


Read Clayton's full candid interview in the latest issue of Hot Press.


http://www.hotpress.com

No comments: