Thursday, October 6, 2011

October: 30 Years of "October"





October is the second album by  U2, released in  October 12,1981. So next Wednesday the album will be 30 years old. 
Bono said of the recording process of October, "I remember the pressure it was made under, I remember writing lyrics on the microphone, and at £50 an hour, that's quite a pressure. Lillywhite was pacing up and down the studio... he coped really well. And the ironic thing about October is that there's a sort of peace about the album, even though it was recorded under that pressure. A lot of people found October hard to accept at first, I mean, I used the word 'rejoice' precisely because I knew people have a mental block against it. It's a powerful word, it's lovely to say. It's implying more than 'get up and dance, baby.' I think October goes into areas that most rock 'n' roll bands ignore. When I listen to the album, something like 'Tomorrow,' it actually moves me." The briefcase was eventually recovered in October 2004, and Bono greeted its return as "an act of grace"
When  he was asked  about the band´s influencies he said:



"Influences, primarily Joy Division, Invisible Girls. A great example of how you can write a song and not know what you're writing about. A song called 'Tomorrow' is a detailed account of my mother's funeral. But I had no idea when I was writing it."
In 2008, a remastered edition of the album was released, featuring remastered tracks, along with B-sides and rarities. Three different formats of the remaster were made available.


Tracklist:


U2's 1981 follow-up to Boy.
    Disc: 1
    • Gloria
    • I Fall Down
    • I Threw A Brick Through A Window
    • Rejoice
    • Fire
    • Tomorrow
    • October
    • With A Shout
    • Stranger In A Strange Land
    • Scarlet
    • Is That All?
    Disc: 2
    • Gloria - (live from London)
    • I Fall Down - (live from London)
    • I Threw A Brick Through A Window - (live from London)
    • Fire - (live from London)
    • October - (live from London)
    • With A Shout - (live from the BBC)
    • Scarlet - (live from the BBC)
    • I Threw A Brick Through A Window - (live from the BBC)
    • A Celebration
    • J Swallo - a.k.a. Johnny Swallo
    • Trash, Trampoline And The Party Girl
    • I Will Follow - (live from Boston '81)
    • The Ocean - (live from Boston '81)
    • The Cry/The Electric Co. - (live from Boston '81)
    • 11 O'Clock Tick Tock - (live from Boston '81)
    • I Will Follow - (live from Hattem)
    • Tomorrow - (Common Ground version)


    No comments: