Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Did you think you came here just to drink some wine?

Bono and Leòn on stage at Estadio Unico on 3rd April




León Gieco talks to Eduardo Fabregat for Pagina 12 after singing with U2 at Estadio Unico in La Plata last concert of the 360º Tour.


Things were about to close  up when I came across Leon Gieco in the backstage of U2 concert in La Plata last Sunday. We chatted about the great musical quality of Muse and the enormity of what was about to happen. Leon had never thought that he would sing "Solo le pido a Dios" (I only ask God) with Bono in second voice and Edge playing subtle tones and the whole of Estadio Unico as chorus.


"I was in Chaco  giving a show for HIJOS (organisation of the children of the Disappeared  in the Dirty War in Argentina) and I got a phone call from U2 production saying that they wanted me in La Plata, so I took the car and drove here," Leon explained.
There Leon Gieco discovered that Bono wanted something more than just sharing a glass of wine.
"Let`s play that song," the  singer proposed, "that I  couldn`t sing well in River." That`s how Leon ended up rehersing with U2.
"At the beginning I was frozen, I was there to enjoy the show ; I had some wine in the VIP  and all of a sudden I was about to get on the stage with these people, let`s face it , this was not just a concert at Grand Rex theatre.If they told you a couple of days earlier, you might get ready, but like this? Bono laughed and asked me, "Did  you think you came here just to drink some wine and that was it?"


Leon commented on the fact that he didn`t take real dimension of what was about to happen until much later .
"The following day, you react.But after all, they are just people! And Bono is person who takes you into account a lot, he knows everything that is going on in the place he plays...I`m sure he must be thinking who he will sing with in Brazil."


Impossible to forget that they are superstars, but they are also flesh and blood people, I added.


"All of us have to poop..."

What about the show, Leon?

"I loved it, though I was not in a good place. I was invited to watch and listen to it from a great place, but then that guy(Bono) fucked it up!" (laughter) .I was a great show."

But apart from all the magnitude, they are still a band...

"Because everything comes before they became a band. They are four friends that still have that coutryside Irish thing, that has a lot to do with the Argentinian. I think we are similar, it`s (Ireland) a country that has suffered too."

"You watch Bono on stage and he has an enegy and a voice that are incredible. I will have to go to a a voice coach ...how I heard him sing last Sunday was amazing! Two intense shows on Saturday and Sunday and the guy had the will to talk, take pictures with fans. He  could be quiet, he doesn´t  need anything else, he has nothing to add to his thing. Does he really need me on stage?"

Eduardo Fabregat 


www.pagina12.com.ar


No comments: