Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tribulations of a U2 South African Fan

We Want U2 In South Africa!




That is exactly what it boils down to, I guess … the desire for U2 to bring their tour to South Africa & make thousands of fans happy.

I’ve been contemplating writing a petition letter to U2 & their management for a while now; asking them why NOT touring Africa. So, yes, they’ve been here once before in 1997 with the PopMart tour, and very successful those concerts were too, I’ve read, but that’s not the issue here. What is important is the fact that although we do get quite a few artists visiting our country, we haven’t had anyone of U2’s calibre here in recent years. (My apologies if I offended anyone.)

I do believe we are capable of giving them the same warm, welcoming response they get elsewhere in the world. In fact; I daresay our people are unique in their ways … just ask any of the tourists who have been here – especially those who’ve visited our beautiful country during the Soccer World Cup. We are a nation who had to struggle through and survive the apartheid era, and all things considering, I think we’ve managed pretty well; despite the few naysayers. We are the same as everyone else in the world; our dreams, hopes & fears are echoed by millions of others around the globe.

I’ve been in contact with Universal Music SA & have been told that to bring U2 to South Africa would be:

  • Very expensive because its ‘4 artists need to be paid instead of just 1’
  • And it would be ‘a logistical nightmare’ for the band to haul their arses (thanks, Larry) & all their ‘luggage’ to this far corner of Africa.

Now, I can appreciate that tickets to a U2 concert would be pricey; especially because of our fluctuating currency & the fact that a recession is happening worldwide. And yet … look at people streaming to their favourite artists’ concerts! And luckier still if you live in the US or Europe … you can even follow your favourite artist/s around the continent. How I wish I’m that fortunate! Sadly, and in my opinion, for the most of us here in SA, it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to witness the musical spectacle that is U2. Never again (unless some of us can afford to fly overseas) would we have the opportunity to witness the magic and wonder of U2 & their music.

It is with envy that I see various concert pictures, news and video clips posted on the Internet. And yes, I do enjoy looking at the pictures, watch the clips and read a review/write up about the previous night’s performance somewhere in the world. But I also feel a little saddened by the fact that I, together with thousands others of my fellow countrymen won’t be able to share in all of this. We can only imagine the expectation, the ecstasy that fills the stadium just before a U2 concert starts. We don’t get to meet other eager fans, standing in queues hours in advance, weathering heat, cold or rain in order to see our favourite band, and talk about the group of musicians who have managed to remain a favourite and go from strength to strength with each new album release. We don’t get to share in the ‘madness’ of it all – unless we do it on-line. And lets face it people … it can never compare to the real thing … can it?
"The Claw" would look awesome here!!

After reading the news that concert dates have been confirmed for Australia & New Zealand, I knew it was time to act. Thanks to a FaceBook friend of mine who suggested I start a ‘petition’ page, I did exactly that. I have to confess how surprise I was the next morning to see how quickly it had grown – people from all over the globe have joined … truly coming together as ‘One’ – it made me proud to be a U2 fan!

Bono has done some amazing work, away from the world stages, for the African continent – and has been doing this for many years now. I do admire his courage; his daring, and his attitude of ‘taking no prisoners’ when it comes to tackling serious issues? If ever there was a man capable of doing so, and being a rock star to boot, then it has to be Bono! I once read that the world famous front man didn’t think it viable to play in SA because ‘not a lot of people know our music.’ I would like to prove him wrong in that assumption. There are thousands of U2 fans that would jump at the chance to see them live in concert & experience the same joy & elations other fans across the world do. Please don’t treat South Africa like an orphan child in this regard – we are equal to everyone else!

If this petition will be successful … I have no idea, but I can hope. Of course I’m wishing that someone out there sees this & perhaps, bring it to Bono & the Boys’ attention – but I can’t predict an outcome on this matter. And its Bono’s words that give me the courage to keep the faith … ‘dream, dream out loud and at full volume!’ and that’s exactly what I’m doing!

It would be an amazing experience; and not even to mention a dream come true for me, should I (and my fellow U2 fans in SA) be so very fortunate to see the best band in the world perform, live, under a beautiful, African summer night sky.


 
Join our petition ,click here!!!

No comments: