Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Celebrating friendship!!



One of the characteristics that catches people´s attentions is the bond of friendship that seems to be among the four members of U2. Having met more than 25 years ago in Larry´s kitchen, the spirit of comradeship and companionship is still alive and kicking ( a feature not all bands can claim!!). Trust and tolerance are the trademark of these rock stars who ,leaving Bono´s antics apart,still look like the guys next door!!!

In 2005, when they entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame , Bono´s acceptance speech reflected some of how he felt about his bandmates....


"I won't go on, but just three Kodak moments over 25 years that I'd like to share with you. One: it's 1976, Larry Mullen's kitchen. It's about the size of the drum riser he uses now. It's a big, bright red -- scarlet, really -- Japanese kit, and he's sitting behind it in hiskitchen. And he's playing, and the ground shakes and the sky opens up,like Bruce was saying earlier. And it still does, but now I know why.I know why -- because Larry Mullen cannot tell a lie. His brutal honesty is something that we need in this band.

Second Kodak moment: I think it's 1982, New Haven, I believe. Things are not going very well. There's a punk rock band on stage trying to play Bach. A fight breaks out. It's between the band. It's very, very messy. Now you look at this guitar genius. You look at this Zen-likemaster that is The Edge, and you hear those brittle, icy notes. Andyou might be forgiven for not realizing that you cannot play like thatunless you have a rage inside you. In fact, I had forgotten that onthat particular night, and he tried to break my nose. I learnt a very great lesson: do not pick a fight with somebody who, for a living,lives off hand-to-eye coordination. Dangerous, dangerous man, The Edge.

Third Kodak moment: 1987, somewhere in the south. We'd been campaigning for Dr. King -- for his birthday to be a national holiday.In Arizona they're saying 'no,' and we'd been campaigning very, very hard for Dr. King. Some people don't like it. Some people get very annoyed. Some people want to kill the singer. Some people are taken very seriously by the FBI. They tell us that we shouldn't play the gigbecause tonight his life is at risk and must not go on the stage. The singer laughs. The singer pffts, you know. Of course, we're playing the gig! Of course, we go on stage! And I'm standing there singing"Pride (In the Name of Love)" and got to the third verse. I close my eyes. I know I'm excited about meeting my maker -- but maybe not tonight. I don't really want to meet my maker tonight. I closed my eyes and when I look up, I see Adam Clayton standing in front of me,holding his bass like only Adam Clayton can hold his bass. And, yeah,there's people in this room who tell you they'll take a bullet for you, but Adam Clayton would have taken a bullet for me -- and I guess that's what it's like to be in a truly great rock and roll band..."


I have goosebumps every time I read Bono´s speech...

No comments: